Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next books are set in a fictional alt-universe version of Swindon, England. Here are some five facts about the real Swindon via Wikipedia.
- Swindon’s motto is “Salubritas et Industria” (Health and Industry).
- Peope from Swindon are called Swindonians
- It is located in the south west of Englan, in Wiltshire, about 130KM west of London
- As with many towns in England, Swindon owed much of its growth to the Industrial Revolution.
- Mark Haddon’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is also set in Swindon.
From 43 places, only 7 of 15 people think Swindon is worth visiting. Ending on a positive note, Swindon was the location for Polish refugees during World War II and many remained.