Got this idea from Literary Feline during her recent contest: “Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.
I actually thought I would have more, but here are some literary couples I like:
- Elizabeth Bennet & Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice
- Jane Eyre & Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre
- Lyra & Will from His Dark Materials
- Lucy Honeychurch & George Emerson from A Room With A View
- Griffin & Sabine from the Griffin & Sabine series
- Cal & Abra from East of Eden (not really a couple in the book but still)
- Bridget Jones & Mark Darcy from Bridget Jones’ Diary
- Anne Eliot & Capt. Wentworth from Persuasion
- Tereza & Tomas (&Sabina) from The Unbearable Lightness of Being
- …and Sherlock Holmes & Dr. John Watson (oh come on, if not, they should be!)
lol I thought of Sherlock and Watson, but then made another choice.
The Social Frog
Bridget Jones & Mark Darcy, didn’t think of listing them, then again I only listed one couple!
Oh, Griffin and Sabine was a great choice. I had forgotten about them.
Shana @ Literarily
Athena, we share two couples. Forgot about Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester.
Rebecca @ The Book Lady's Blog
I love that you selected Bridget Jones & Mr. Darcy. I enjoyed the Austen novels and Victorian lit in general, but none of the couples really left an impression on me. Interesting list.
Susan B. Evans
I forgot about Bridget Jones – I love Bridget and Mark 🙂 I picked Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe as my favorite couple.
We have a few of the same but you have many I haven’t read.
Lucy and George…Holmes and Watson–perfect!
I also chose Anne and Capt. Wentworth. Have you read any of Laurie King’s Mary Russell novels about Holmes? I recently listened to the first one, The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, on audio and loved it.
Rose City Reader
Great list! I’d add Scarlet & Rhett.
By the way, we are in The Complete Booker together. So today is my day to check out the blogs of all my fellow participants. What an interesting and creative bunch of fellow readers! Keep up the good work!