I really enjoyed this pattern overall. It only had two rows and was very easy to knit with while watching movies or TV. I didn’t feel pressured to finish it and loved going back to it. I don’t always wear my Stephen West shawls, but I’ve enjoyed knitting everyone of them.
Shortened mine from the pattern because I had read many people ran out of yarn. I went to about 12″ rather than 14″ before doing the final garter rows. I did four garter rows instead of the six. Finished off with an Icelandic bind off which was new to me and stretchy. I’ll use it for socks next time.
The yarn is lovely. It didn’t bleed very much and the photos don’t capture how nice it is. It was soft and knit up so well. No issues with knots, abrupt colour changes, or ply issues. I’d definitely use Fleece Artist again.
Pogona, started December 16, 2015, finished February 3, 2016.
Pattern: Pogona by Stephen West
Yarn: Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 – 350.0 meters (382.8 yards), 125 grams – in Sangria
Measurements: Post blocking 18”/46cm from centre stitch to BO edge. Wingspan: 46”/117cm which is ten inches less than the original, but mine is longer at the centre.
Modifications & Notes:
- Alternate cast-on method from KarenK (The No-Garter-Tab Method): Cast on 3 sts. Row 1: K 3; Row 2: K1, M1 (using backwards loop increase), K1, M1, K1 (5 sts); Row 3: K 5; Row 4: K2, M1, K1, M1, K2 (7 sts); Row 5: K3, P1, K3; Row 6: K3, YO, K1, YO, K3 (9 sts); Start with Set-up Row 1 (WS) in pattern
- Slipped slevedge. Slipped first stitch of every row and knit tbl on the last stitch.
- Used KFB instead of YO at the edge stitches so that my rows would be: Sl1pwise, K1, KFB… KFB, K1, Ktbl
- Going from purl to knit: Purl st through the back loop. I didn’t find any benefit to this one.
- 12” before garter rows.
- Do 4 garter rows rather than 6.
- Paired lifted increases
- Icelandic bind off
Tools/Notions: Many stitch markers.
Lessons Learned: Icelandic bind off.
Cost of Project: $16CAD for the year
Would I knit it again? Yes, but doubtful I would. Recommended pattern for easy project.