Books and Reading
My goal for 2018 was to read 32 books. 2017 was not a good reading year, but 2018 was much better. As of this writing, I read 45 books!
The following are books that I dumped:
- Georgette Heyer mysteries – I read the one that I owned then I tried to read one more from the library, but gave up. I enjoyed Heyer’s Regency romances, but her mysteries were rather flat.
- The Queen’s Fool by Philippa Gregory – I was already prepared to dump this, but I read the first prologue and some of the first chapter. I did not like it and skimming through a coupe of chapters.
- Joy on Demand by Chade-Meng Tan – A book on meditation that I started and was then put on hold for months. I gave up and realized it didn’t grab me.
2019 Books and Reading Goals
- Read 42 books for 2019 – This was my old standard goal of 42 books. I think 50 would be pushing my luck. I want to go back to the old days of my youth when I did read 50+ books in a year, but I don’t think there are gurantees of it.
- Read more cookbooks – So many cookbooks, so little time.
- Read remaining 2018 New Yorker magazines – I received a promo subscription in 2017. I only have about five to read.
For 2018, I wanted to knit six projects. I finished three and am currently still work on my fourth. I am satisfied since my current project is a light sweater.
2019 Knitting Goals
- Finish three projects in 2019 including my current sweater
- Continue to not buy yarn – With the exception of travel (and even on my last few trips), I have not bought yarn in a couple years.
This year, I finally made kimchi. I continue to bake bread but always using the same recipe since sourdough is finnicky. I want to learn more recipes, but the most important is to keep baking bread.
Some ideas for 2019:
- Make stollen next Christmas
- Find another reliable sourdough bread recipe that works for my starter and me
- Cook and Bake from my cookbooks
I have many other small goals. I am continuing to work on writing more, meditation, and fitness. I have planned and booked a few races in the new year.