Booking Through Thursday – Gold Medal Reading
You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:
- Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
- Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?
- Do you consider yourself a sports fan?
- Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
- (Or a good sports movie, for that matter. Feel free to expand this into a discussion about “Friday Night Lights” or “The Natural” or whatever…) – BTT
I have never read any books about the Olympics, and I do not read a lot of books on sports in general. The one I can remember off the top of my head and that I liked quite a bit is Nick Hornby’s Fever Pitch. I do consider myself a sports fan in the sense that I like spectating sports, but I do not have any strong loyalty to any teams or countries. To some, but not to the level that most fans of. I would also like to read Friday Night Lights and have been meaning to since the television show began as I hear it is a good sports story. I rather like nonfictional sports books it seems.
As for the Olympics, I have been watching it and keeping up with it for many years.