My selection list for the Classics Club, a five year challenge to read at least 50 classics.
I use to join and enjoy a lot of book challenges. Nowadays, I find it hard to balance real life with blogging and reading all the books I want, but I couldn’t resist this challenge because I love classics.
I listed 50 books, but
I think the selection may change or be added onto over time the selection has changed and been added to over time. When selecting the books, I did use a broad definition of classics as I included a few modern books. I will be used book shopping in a couple of weeks which may alter this selection again. The goal is to read 50 classics, but the selection of the list may change a bit over time due to time, interest, and availability of the books.
I included books that I own, books I want to read/heard a lot of, and books from the 1001 Books Before You Die List. Due to being revised, it’s actually 1294 books. For a spreadsheet to keep track of that lengthy list, go here .
You can follow all my posts relating to the club through my Classics Club tag which includes reviews, memes, etc.
Start Date: June 1, 2012
End Date: June 1,
My Prize: To be determined at a later date. Some sort of food and/or shopping will be involved.
- Bleakhouse by Charles Dickens
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling – 04/06/2012
- The Warden by Anthony Trollope
- Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce – 25/12/2015
- Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy – 10/06/2012
- The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James – 14/07/2012
- Don Quixote by Cervantes
- The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot – 17/07/2012
- Middlemarch by George Eliot
- Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence
- The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder – 11/11/2014
- Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland – 31/05/2016
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett – 28/12/2013
- The Return of the the Native by Thomas Hardy
- Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson – 02/12/2015
- Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie
- A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen – 05/08/2012
- Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell – 02/10/2012
- The Social Contract by Jean Jacques Rousseau
- The Complete Poems by T. S. Eliot
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – 01/08/2012
- Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett – 27/03/2016
- The Magus by John Fowles
- Ulysses by James Joyce
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac – 30/06/2013
- The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami – 24/08/2012
- Walden by Henry David Thoreau – 12/04/2013
- Death in Venice by Thomas Mann
- Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant – 31/12/12
- Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte – 26/07/2012
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte – 30/11/2013
- Lady Susan by Jane Austen – 08/08/2012
- Love & Freindship and The History of England by Jane Austen – 13/08/2012
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- The Quiet American by Graham Greene
- Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
- The Awakening and Other Stories by Kate Chopin
- Stuart Little by E. B. White – 15/05/2016
- William-an Englishman by Cicely Hamilton – 22/06/2013
June 5, 2016: Removed Nicolas Nickelby for Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure.
May 29th 2016: Removed The Bluest Eye, replaced with Stuart Little.
November 13th, 2014: Removed Atlas Shrugged and replaced with Little House series link.
February 11th, 2012: Added Winesburg, Ohio, Return of the Native, A Little Princess, The Bluest Eye, Death in Venice to take out a couple of newer classics.
August 13th, 2012: Removed Home by Marilynne Robinson and put in Jane Austen’s juvenilia Love & Freidnship and The History of England.
August 7th, 2012: Added Mansfield Park and new link to Classics Club blog. I took out Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams because I’ve read it and replaced it with Lady Susan which I also think I read before but I’ll do a proper reciew for it. Also, I added the dates of when I completed each book so that this update list doesn’t get too long over the course of five years.
August 4th, 2012: Added Little Women.
July 28, 2012: Added link to Agnes Grey.
July 14, 2012: Added link to The Portrait of a Lady.
June 21, 2012: Added link to Mill on the Floss.
June 12, 2012: Added link to Tess. I’ve also started an additional list in the event I finish those above or I don’t end up reading some of the others so they can be replaced with those in added list.
June 5th, 2012: Added link to The Jungle Book, removed Misery by Stephen King because it was over 50.
June 4th, 2012: Realized I put in Inheritance of Loss twice! Took one out and added Agnes Grey.
June 3rd, 2012: Removed William Shakespeare’s sonnets because I remembered I had read them all. Added Hamilton’s William-an Englishman because I own it even though I’d never heard of it when and since I bought it. Now the list numbers have changed and will continue to.
June 1st, 2012.
Yay for #s 22, 24, 28, 30 and 35! And though I haven’t finished it, a yay-in-progress for #21. Cheers, and welcome to the club, Athena! 🙂
Hi Jillian! Thank you for the warm welcome. I really look forward to engaging with everyone in the club. Cheers.
And though I haven’t finished it, a yay-in-progress for #21. Cheers, and welcome to the club, Athena! Thanks that you’ve shared.
Hi Claire! Thanks for the warm welcome!
A belated welcome to the club and yay for T.S. Eliot 🙂
Hi Claudia! Thanks for the welcome. I do like Eliot very much. Cheers.